Unfortunately, none of them seems to be blessed in the brains department (they're Chicago aldercreatures for pete's sake and democrats to boot) and the things that they are running counter to Daley are either unimportant or economic suicide. For instance:
- The entire "foie gras" incident. Why a major metropolitan city council would even spend a moment debating whether people with too much money should spend it at ten restaurants that serve goose liver is beyond us.
- Monday, Ed Burke wants to ban cooking with trans fats at Chicago restaurants. What in the hell is he thinking? We bleed convention business, are billions short in pension obligations and Eddie wants to stop people from spending money?
- The City Council demands the mayor hire more cops and the mayor essentially says "Screw you." This has yet to play out. Can the Legislative Branch force the Executive to bend to their will, which is essentially the will of the people? This could be interesting shortly.
- And now, the mayor is trying to get aldercreatures to back off of a number ordinances that will make it difficult for Wal-Mart to open a couple big box stores in town. These include "living wage" and benefits packages.
- Mandating "living wages" will keep Wal Mart out of the city. But city residents are still going to go work there - there goes the City's "head tax" they so dearly love.
- Wal-Mart, for all it's alleged faults, supplies things that people want and want at a price they are willing to pay - there goes the City's sales taxes.
- City stores will be driven out of business as the people flock to the surrounding suburbs that are happy to have Wal-Mart there - goodbye to even more head taxes and sales taxes - the death spiral tightens
- Here's the best part - the aldercreatures are beholden to the unions who are demanding Wal-Mart submit to their will and their insane economic shackles. Wal-Mart probably won't. So the unions contribute to driving more union people out of jobs as businesses shut and support services disappear.
God help us, we love this stuff.